Modern Farmhouse Inspired Kid's Desk

Hello!!  I have a fun project to tell you about today!!

Last week I was out shopping with some friends.  It just so happened the one friend was picking up a vintage table they bought on a local Facebook garage sale page.  When we got to the house the owner had quite a few great pieces for sale.  

I spied this beat up, dirty and stained solid oak school desk.  I have a true love of desks.  They're not the easiest to refinish, but I'm always drawn to desks and I enjoy working on them.  Luckily I was able to purchase the desk and get it home the same day, thanks to my friends big SUV!

Here are some before pictures:

You can see the top was pretty messed up. There were tons of stains and scratches that needed to be fixed.

The worst part was the Sharpie all over the pull out tray.  

I knew I could fix it all and make something unique with a bit of work that is.

I started with the top.  I sanded the top down, starting with 80 grit.  I needed to get down a few layers to get rid of the staining.  Once that was done, I moved on to 120 then finally to 220 grit sandpaper.  It was nice and smooth and the discolorations were all but gone.

Now it was time to stain the top.  I used a mix of Red Mahogany and Kona stain. 

Next step was paint.  I started with a base coat of Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in a mix of Typewriter and Ironstone.   I applied two coats and then waited to see what would happen.  The nerve wracking part of using milk paint is where is will peel and if it will peel at all.  Sure enough the paint chipped in a few areas.  I sanded the desk paying attention to the chippy parts.  

When I was done with the sanding I went over the whole desk with a wash of Vintage Linen DIY Paint.  Then I gave the entire desk another sanding and a coat of dark and clear wax mixed.

The last change was the new brushed nickel cup pulls.  I feel like the pulls 'pulled' it all together1

I wanted a farmhouse look, but a touch of modern in there.  

Here's the finished desk!

I really love how it all came together.  

The drawer pulls are just what this desk needed.

I have a bit of a crush on this desk!  I seem to keep finding these kid's desks, maybe someone is trying to tell me something.  If they are I have no idea what they're trying to say!  

I'm hoping this Modern Farmhouse desk finds a happy home!!

Thank you for reading,

September FFFC Geometric Design...Don't upholster, Paint!

Hello!!  I'm excited to show you my project for the The Fab Furniture Flippin' Contest!!  This months challenge was to create a geometric project.  I thought long and hard about what to do and came up empty.  This all changed when I came across a stained and out of date upholstered cane chair.  
I've always wanted to paint upholstery and this project was perfect.  Not only could I make it geometric, but I could try painting fabric!

My Adoption Story and Coming To Terms With My Story

I know this is the place I normally share my DIY projects, home design and makeovers, but today I'm doing something a little different.

I'm sure not many of you know, unless you follow me on Facebook,  that I'm adopted.  I was adopted by my parents from LA County adoptions when I was three days old.  I was lucky enough to have a family that wanted a child and was willing to open their home to a stranger's baby.  

When I was 6, my parents told me I was adopted.  Looking back, I can't remember what my reaction was.  I do know that ever since that day I fantasized about who my birth Mother was and why she would give me away. The fact that I am adopted has deeply affected me all through my life.  

Vintage Trunk Turned Coffee Table

This is a quick post today.  I know, quick posts are not my thing normally, but this project doesn't require a ton of explanation so I will keep it short.

I've had this vintage trunk for a couple years.  It's had a few different looks.  First I used it as a coffee table without feet or casters on the bottom.  Then I used it as a little table under a window to display globes.  Another use...I added legs to the bottom so I could use it as a coffee table.  It looked great with legs, but one day the legs decided to come off the bottom.  Project fail!

From Ugly Cubby to Cool Storage

Hello!!!  It's that time of year....that dreaded back to school season.  I have to admit I really enjoyed my summer and I don't feel like school should have started in the middle of August.  Anyway, with school starting, my mind always goes to organization.  I have to make a confession....I'm not organized in any way shape or form.  It's not really in my DNA, but I really do try!

Easy Lane Chest Makeover Using Embellishments

I love a nice cedar chest at the end of a bed.  I'm a huge fan of the look and the functionality.  Needless to say, I was thrilled when I came across this Lane Chest at my local Goodwill.  

It was simple and lacked any pizazz or character, but I knew I could change that!

Easy Gallery Wall Using Minted Artwork

Disclosure:  I was compensated for this post with product, however all opinions and thoughts are my own.  I'd never recommend a product or service unless I loved it myself!

I was approached by Minted to write a post about some of their products.   

In case you don't know about Minted here are a few facts about the company:
  • Minted is a design marketplace of independent artists from around the globe.
  • All artworks are available in a wide range of sizes and frame options.
  • The product selection is constantly expanding as Minted grows its artist community and hosts ongoing challenges.