Hello!!! Welcome to the first edition of DIY'ing as a family! I was lucky enough to have Hunter home from camp last week and he decided he wanted to help me build something. I've had a project tucked away in my brain for quite sometime and figured it was time to get started on since I had help!
I had purchased a set of mid century modern furniture from a neighbor a month or so ago. This is the first piece from the set that I've worked on so far. Stay tuned for more to come!
Here's the headboard
I knew I wanted to make a bench using the headboard for the back. I knew the legs on the headboard would be my back legs, but I wasn't sure what to use for the front legs. That was until I remembered a little chair I dove into a dumpster to save! I saved this little chair a long time ago from an estate sale dumpster. The hubby was dying when I jumped in to save this chair!
The chair wasn't exactly worth saving, but I figured I could use parts of it for other projects. I decided the best legs for the bench were the cute legs from this chair.
And here you can see how Hunter freed the legs from the chair!
Once the legs were freed from the chair, it was time to start making our bench seat. Because Hunter was helping me, I got a bit distracted and didn't take a lot of in-progress pictures.
I made the bench seat out of reclaimed wood and some other scrap wood leftover from other projects. Basically I made a big rectangle a bit bitter than my headboard. I attached the legs to the bench frame, then attached the whole thing to my headboard.
Here's Hunter helping me put the bench seat frame together.
On top of the frame, I added reclaimed wood (cut to size) with my brad nailer.
This is how the bench looked at this point.
I sent a picture of the bench to the hubby at work. His response? "Interesting" Or in other words....UGLY! This wasn't stopping me from finishing because I knew what it would look like when I was done!
On each side of the headboard, there were pieces missing.
To replace what was missing, I used finials from curtain rods I removed right after we moved into our house. In order to get the finials attached to the headboard, I cut two small wood blocks of and attached them to the headboard with my brad nailer. Then I screwed the finials in to the wood block.
This is how the bench looked once all the construction was done.
The next step.....make the bench pretty! This required a bit of work of course! I sanded the seat and back legs using 120 grit sandpaper to make it nice and smooth. After I was done sanding, I stained the top with dark walnut gel stain. To seal the stain, I waxed the seat with dark wax.
I painted the bench back and front legs with Chalk Paint™ decorative paint by Annie Sloan in Graphite and Pure White. I first painted the pieces Graphite. Once this was dry I applied the Pure White using a dry brush method. Then I distressed and added clear wax to seal the paint.
Here is it all done!
I like the rustic feel of the bench.
I purposely left that knot hole right in front. I thought it added to the character of the piece!
And here's the bench in it's new home in our courtyard. I'm not sure we'll keep the bench here all year round, but for awhile until the weather changes it will stay here.
This was definitely a fun piece to build. I didn't use any plans, Hunter and I just flew by the seat of our pants. That's the way I like to work! I'm happy with how the bench turned out. Even the hubby has come around...he loves it and says it's actually comfortable. HAHAHA He was really concerned it wasn't going to be sturdy, but it held both of use and Hunter just fine and didn't budge. That's fine craftsmanship my friends!!
Thank you so much for reading!!