French Poem Dresser Using DecoArt Chalky Finish Paint


*Disclaimer:  I received product in exchange for writing this post.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.  I would never suggest a product I don't love!



Let's face it, we all have our obsessions.  My obsessions are too lengthy to list here, but I will admit to having an obsession with Paris and French themed.  


I came across this cute vintage pine dresser that needed some help.  It was boring, the varnish was peeling off and it was missing most of it's drawer hardware.   I enjoy working on pieces that are simple and a bit boring because those are the projects that deliver the WOW factor.  

I got a bit ahead of myself (what's new?!) and started sanding the top of the dresser before I got a picture.  Here's the best picture I have before.  


I started by cleaning the dresser, then sanding the top.  This isn't a dresser with a lot of detailing or anything that makes it stand out, which made me think it would be great to stain the top.  I bought a new stain that I hadn't tried before in gray.  I applied the gray stain to the top and immediately I couldn't stand it.  Then I added another coat of stain in dark walnut, still not happy with the color.  Lastly, I added another coat of antique oak and the color was what I was looking for.  

I will try the gray stain again on another type of wood and see how I like it then.



Once the top was done, I painted the body of the dresser in DecoArt Chalky Finish Paint in Lace.  In-between coats I sanded the painted finish with 400 grit sandpaper to give it a nice smooth finish.  

Next I got to work on the drawers.  I painted the outside trim of the drawers using the Lace color.  The middle panel of the drawers I painted in Yesteryear, also by DecoArt Chalky Finish Paint.  

To add a bit of 'wow factor' I used my Royal Design Studio Springtime In Paris Stencil on the front of the drawers.  I used a bit more of the Lace paint and stenciled on a few lines of the poem.   I waxed the drawers to seal and protect the finish, then added new mercury glass drawer knobs for the final touch. 

Here's how the dresser looks now!




The lighting was perfect the evening I took the pictures so I decided to take them outside.  I've always loved photographing my pieces outside, but that's not easy when you live in Illinois!!  






















This dresser has already found a new home.  It's going in a sweet baby girl's room.   I love working on projects for girls, it's nice to get my girlie on and do something feminine!

I'm on the hunt now for something similar for my master bedroom!!

Let me know what you think.  I always enjoy hearing from you!

Take care and thanks for reading!















No comments:

Post a Comment