French Poem Buffet



Hello!!!  I'm thrilled to be sharing this project with you today!   

It's been a crazy few months at My Passion For Decor.  If you don't follow MPFD on Facebook or Instagram,  you may not be aware we moved from Illinois to the Seattle area in August for the hubby's new job.  It's been a whirlwind, but I'm happy to say we're moved into our new house and I'm working to make this house our home.  



If you are a vintage furniture lover, like I am, then you know that in some areas of the country buffets are hard to find for a decent price.  So when I saw this piece for sale on Facebook Marketplace, I sent a message to the seller and I was able to get it for a reasonable price.  I still paid more than I'd have liked, due to the condition of the piece,  I'm not one to shy away from a challenge, especially when that challenge has great bones!

Here's how the buffet looked before I got to work.



You can see in the picture, just how bad the veneer was peeling....it had to be removed completely.




This is my preferred way to remove veneer, with a heat gun and a putty knife.  Before I got to work with the heat gun and putty knife, I laid a warm damp towel over the drawers for a few hours to loosen the glue.  Removing veneer is not my favorite job, but it's so worth it in the end!  I love seeing what's underneath all the peeling wood!




Once all the veneer was removed drawers, I moved on to the top.  I sanded the top down to the bare wood, then stained it in a dark gray stain.   

I painted rest of the buffet in Dixie Belle Paint Company's Cotton.  Cotton is a nice bright true white.  

For the drawers, I painted a coat of dark gray paint, then another coat of the Cotton.  The dark gray was a custom mix of DBPC Hurricane Gray and Caviar.  Once the paint was dry I painted the drawers in Cotton.  I wanted to be able to sand back the white paint and have some dark gray poking through.

Because I had to remove all the veneer from the drawers, I lost the cute drawer details.  I tried my best to save them, but the detailing was veneer as well and there was no way to keep the details.  The drawers looked really blah without the detailing,  so I used my favorite Spring Time in Paris stencil from Royal Design Studio Stencils.  I applied my custom gray paint for the stencil using a flat stencil brush.  

Once the paint the paint was dry, I used some 220 grit sandpaper and distressed the buffet in all the right places.   To finish it all off,  I sealed the top with poly, and added new drawer pulls.  

Here's how it looked when I was done.  












I love this buffet, with it's beautiful details and character.  I wish I had a place for this in my new home, but I don't!  This French beauty will be heading to a new home, where I know the new owner will love it as much as I do.  






No comments:

Post a Comment